Buying makeup can be an intimidating experience whether you're at Sephora or the cosmetics counter at Nordstrom or Bloomy's.
Here are some tips to ensure you get what you want and don't overspend!
- Know what you need ahead of time. Keep a list in your smartphone.
- Decide how much you want to spend and do a little online research on pricing to see if all the items you need fit into your budget.
- If buying a foundation, make sure you have as little makeup or self-tanner on as possible so that the artist can truly match you- unless you have a constant tan.
- Never buy a foundation too dark. It's better to go too light and then use more bronzer. Dark foundation makes you look dirty.
- Never go to the cosmetics section when it's super busy or during an event. You won't get personalized service.
- Makeup never goes on sale- they just give free gifts. These are usually sample size items you can get anytime. Of course, if you were planning on spending that amount anyway, the free gift is a bonus.
- If you're in the market for a whole new look, it's best to make an appt. to get your makeup fully done with a makeup artist. That way they can choose all the right colors that work on your skin and you can see exactly how it will look.
- Don't get your makeup done at Sephora. The staff is not professionally trained or licensed to do makeup. Sephora is for the shopper who knows exactly the color she needs and wants it fast.
- Always tell the person you are buying the makeup from how much you want to spend. That way they aren't pushy on selling.
Best counters for blush and eyeshadow:
Best counters for illuminating products:
Best counters for lipstick and glosses:
Best counters for mascara:
It's also important to use high quality tools to apply your makeup. Bobbi Brown has great brushes!